6 TRICKS FOR SAVING ON HOLIDAY TRAVEL
Budget travel hacks to try while booking your holiday getaways.
With the holiday season sneaking up on us, it’s officially time to start making winter travel plans. Whether you’re jet setting off for Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year’s, traveling this time of the year is always a crowded and chaotic feat. To avoid holiday price increases, crowded travel time and overbooked hotels, we talked to Cheryl Rosner, the CEO of travel site Stayful.com, for the best budget tips. Here, six key ways to make your holiday vacation more affordable:
1) Don’t book too far in advance. According to Rosner, “people like to book their travel plans way too far in advance, which sometimes leads to overpaying for something you could’ve gotten a discount on. For example, Stayful allows you to only book 30 days out and the hotels are willing to give you a better price because they are looking to fill the void of the unsold rooms.”
2) Be flexible with your vacation dates. Rosner recommends traveling during the work week, when airfare prices are lower.
3) Book your trip on a Tuesday. Tuesday is the best day of the week for saving money on booking hotels, travel and flights, says Rosner.
4) Opt for a city getaway. “People are leaving the big cities during the holiday time. Think NYC, Boston, Chicago. These cities are full of holiday cheer and if you stay on Thanksgiving Day or Christmas Day, you are most likely to get a better deal because they are looking to fill the unsold rooms,” Rosner advises.
5) Try more of the off-beat tourist attractions. “While you’ll want to see all the tourist attraction in the cities, visiting smaller destinations and less traffic-y sites could help to reduce the cost of your trip. Pretend to be a local. Ask around (concierge at the hotel) for things that the locals do.”
6) Include a Sunday night stay. Most travelers book their trips for Friday and Saturday night stays, so there’s more availability and inexpensive hotel rooms on Sunday nights.